Re: [oletrucks] 1950 216 Help Urgently Needed

To: "Don Simmons" <tasimmons@cbnn.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1950 216 Help Urgently Needed
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:36:55 -0600
Yeah, what I thought too until I tore the engine down.. seems there is a lot
of conjecture on the issue. I was thinking the worst too, but found nice
babbet INSERT bearings in the crank mains and babbet press in bearings in
the cam. This whole "uh o, its a babbet motor" stuff is ridiculous. There is
just as much babbet in just about any motor. The only problem with the
babbet issue on the 216 is the piston rod bearings are not insert. Those are
poured babbet directly on the rod/cap. This is too bad, but not
insurmountable since there are places still around who will re-pour those
parts. Its not as if you have to send your block off to a place to have that
done.. just a box of piston rods.

I have the oil pump out (no big deal) and I am taking the block, cam, crank,
etc. to a machine shop and they will remove and inspect (possibly replace)
the insert bearings, cam bearings, and change the freeze plugs. This is
pretty essential to getting it done right. A machine shop has all the tools
and equipment necessary for doing it right.

Thanks again for the input and if anyone has any suggestions, please feel
free to say something.. this is all new to me.

Deve
50 3100
49 3600
www.speedprint.com/Deves50/index.html