[oletrucks] 454 problems

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, 73-87 <73-87ChevyTrucks@onelist.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] 454 problems
From: Dustin Cross <livnrt@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:48:08 -0700
last month after one of my timing gears came apart on my 454
I had to take it to a shop and have all 8 intake valves and
push rods replaced   so I  had them completely go through
the heads     after waiting patiently for three weeks to get
it back (he said the Teflon seals were backordered on him) I
had my girlfriend pick it up and take it home   she put
about 100 miles on it and when I got home the following week
I put on about 50 miles before it started missing and
refusing to idle at all!    I backed off all the lifters and
it smoothed out quite a bit but still loped horribly at
idle     I ran a compression check and the # 3 cylinder had
no compression!    (the rest were between 113 and 115)    I
called the mechanic and had him come get it (he's 80 miles
away)   he tore it down and is telling me that my lifters
are bad because unless the lifters are loose enough to
rattle they are being held open       he doesn't feel that
he should cover it under his warranty, but offered to split
the labor with me because it obviously isn't my fault
what do you guys think?

Dustin