[oletrucks] Building a rotisserie-Need advice/resources

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Building a rotisserie-Need advice/resources
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:51:54 EST
Hi everyone,

Gonna be finished with the restoration of my '65 mustang FB real quick which
will open up an entire bay of my shop momentarily. I've always wanted a
rotisserie, but I haven't had the space for one until now. I've run into a
hard time trying to find a quality rotisserie to copy/get ideas from. All the
ones I've seen look like two harbor frieght engine stands put end-to-end.
Maybe I've just been spoiled being around the rotisseries we use at work to
rotate 20-ton log skidder chassis', but I want a rotisserie that I can be
proud to have as a permanent fixture in my shop.

I have alot of access to industrial hydraulic and electro-mechanical goodies
and, quite frankly, I would like to build the baddest rotisserie out there.
My plan is to use two 30' sections of railroad track for "ways" by attaching
them to a fixed "headstock" with a very high reduction hydraulic motor
operated spindle to support and rotate the vehicle or frame to which it was
attached at one end. And at the other end the vehicle/frame would be
supported by a moveable "tailstock" that rides on the railroad track.

I'm wondering if  anyone else has ever attempted something like this or has
pictures/diagrams of such a beast? I'm especially interested in details on
the best way to engineer the fork-like devices that actually attach to
whatever needs rotating. Your help is always appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons