Re: [oletrucks] GMC over-load springs? (short)

To: <VIKINGHILL@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] GMC over-load springs? (short)
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:09:49 -0500
My '51 GMC also had a set of these springs installed - the owner's manual
lists them as a factory accessory. part #2233278.

Most alignment shops can check the alignment and adjust toe-in for you, and
possibly adjust caster with shims, but on a beam axle front end there are
two other measurements, camber and kingpin inclination. When these are out
of spec it usually means really worn kingpins or loose wheelbearings, but
can also indicate a bent steering knuckle or bent or twisted axle. Only a
heavy truck shop has the experience and equipment to diagnose and correct
problems like this, especially if it  requires straightening a bent axle.

Jack / Winter Park FL