Re: [oletrucks] was ???????, now stock vs modified holy wars

To: <MarkNoakes@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] was ???????, now stock vs modified holy wars
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 19:29:31 -0800
>Uh-oh, the stock vs restified/modified holy wars again; this one can't be
>won; can only be a draw.

My solution (not that anyone asked) to the whole stock vs. modified vs. hot
rod issue is to have one of each.  One of my trucks that came to me in stock
form is restored basically to stock (with a few invisible innovations for
safety and reliability).

The other extreme mythe '55 1st series that came to me as a rusted out
basket case.  I don't have many scruples about keeping it stock, because it
was on the way to the boneyard anyway.  In fact I'm looking forward to being
creative with it, 100% guilt free, since it's an orphan.  Maybe shoehorn a
Buick straight 8 engine in there...

There are so many $500 specials out there with no engine, etc. that are
better candidates for modification, and that are half-way to being scrap, so
that being modified is really a mercy to them.

It seems a shame to change one that has lasted this long in its original
form.   On the other hand, they're old chevy trucks, not Duesenbergs.  There
is zero chance that in the foreseeable future original specimens will become
unavailable to historians, should any come calling.   If someone just has to
rework a running stock truck, well it's a free country, and I'm glad they
see the beauty in it even if it isn't the way I'd do things.

I suspect that part of the reason a lot of  us gravitate to old trucks is
that you can do it your way and 95% of the other truck folks will say
"Cool!" even if their inclinations differ.

Before I got involved with my old trucks, I restored American cars of the
same vintage.  There was a well organized national club for these cars with
local chapters and a lot of knowledgable, enthusiastic people.  I really
have nothing bad to say about them, it's just that I lost interest when the
100-point judging people took over.  For me, 100 point competition is a job,
not a hobby.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net