[oletrucks] hit by a truck

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] hit by a truck
From: "Larry R. Kephart" <LAROKE@web2000.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 09:04:08 -0500
You've got a lot of company, John

Almost thirty years ago when I was a young man, I and the bank were the
proud owners of a '69 AMC Javelin SST with 290 CI V8, Carter 4-bbl AFB carb,
Borg-Warner T-10 4-speed with Factory Hurst Competition Plus linkage.
Somethin' went south with the clutch. Even then, finding a throw-out bearing
for an AMC was almost as hard as locating a full set of seats for a
suburban.

I got the bearing and put the front of the Javelin on jack stands. The stock
exhaust system formed a "Y" under the transmission before running into a
single muffler. I dropped the exhaust at the headers and left it connected
at the back on the car. Laying on my back under the car, on the exhaust
system, I started to unbolt the transmission. I thought the T-10 was an
aluminium housing model and wouldn't be much heaver than my old '59 Ford
three-speed which I had become an expert removing and re-installing.

I was about to be severely punished for my lapse of intelligence. (Some
American general once said "Supidity is always punished more swiftly than
evil".) As I pulled the transmission out of the pilot bearing and clutch
splines I suddenly became aware that it was the cast-iron T-10 and I didn't
have the strength to keep it from racing to mother earth. Problem was, my
knee was between it and mother earth. When the T-10 came in contact with my
knee, my body's autopilot functions tried to get me away from the
transmission by tuning hard over on my left side. This reaction in the
confined space under the Javelin caused a second contact point: my right
shoulder and a rather sharp muffler clamp . . . and, oh yeh, the T-10 was
still on my knee.

Bleeding at shoulder and knee, I first made a few of the sounds all injured
animals make. I continued on into the sounds that only humans can add for
emphasis. This continued until my mother came out of the house and told me
to stop cussin' before one of the neighbors called the police. That's one
mistake I've only made once and now I can laugh about it.

I Remain,
L. R. Kephart
LAROKE Microcomputer Consultants

                                 \\\ | ///