Re: [oletrucks] Generator to alternator conversion

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Generator to alternator conversion
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 23:17:07 -0600 (CST)
>I understand that most any 12 volt alternator will work on my 235, but my
>question is this:  The current generator has 2 wires going to the regulator.
>What modifications will have to be made once I install the alternator, and
>how many wires will I have, and where will they go?
>
>Thanks, guys-
>
>Smokey Culver

If you get the GM one wire internal regulator (one lug and two spades)
kind, one wire goes from the lug to the battery + terminal and the other
two can be hooked to the first.  One of the two is just a reference voltage
and the other is to run the idiot light if the alternator quits putting
out.  The two spades are hooked together internally.  This kind of
alternator can be pulled from just about any GM car made in the last 20
years.  Look for one with a V belt sheave, not a serpentine belt sheave.

Bruce Kettunen
bekett@uslink.net
'57 3100