[oletrucks] carb problem

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] carb problem
From: james salley <jamessalley@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:18:35 CDT
Hello all

Have recently purchased a 54 five window and am trying to get it road ready.
  The engine has ben replaced with a 1956 235 and was running at the time I
purchased it.  Last week I cranked the truck to move it out of the garage to
do some work on the brakes and the motor backfired and quit.  When I looked
under the hood while motor was being turned over, gas was poring out of the
tube that sticks up in the center of the carb. I purchased a carb rebuild
kit and took the carb apart. When I removed the float I noticed gas was
inside the float. I found a hole in the float and soldered it closed. After
assembling the carb and installing on the truck I had no more problem with
gas poring out. The truck started up and ran. But it runs real rough and
when I give it gas it sputters and goes dead. I have never worked on trucks
before and really have no idea what to do to fix this. Any suggestions on
what adjustment I need to make? Is fuel mixture to rich? If so how do I make
this adjustment? Or could it be rust form the gas tank?

Thanks in advance