FW: [oletrucks] patch panel

To: "'Chevy Trucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: [oletrucks] patch panel
From: Richard Kinas <rkinas@ctinet.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:00:37 -0400
Scott,

This is how I handle situations such as this.

  If you have pin holes, the first thing to do is sand blast the entire
strip. When you blast, the pin holes will either stay the same (which is
easy to fix) or they will become larger because of the thinned metal around
the holes. In either case it is best to start with blasting. If you don't
have access to a sand blaster, take a regular screw driver and poke it into
a hole. Attempt to turn the screwdriver around in the hole. Any metal that
the screwdriver can bend and/or remove needs to be replaced anyway. If
there are many holes, this could take a while.
  After the hole preparation is complete, It's time to start welding. I
have found that I can fill holes 3/16" or less easily just with the
wire-fed welder. With holes larger than this, if I have access to the back
of the working area I would backup the hole with a piece of copper, and
then fill with the wire-fed welder. If I only have front access, I will use
a 10 penny nail or similar, by inserting the head of the nail into the hole
and having the head act as the backing plate, I use a pair of vise grips to
hold the nail in place while I tack a few spots to hold the nail head in
place. Once the nail head is firmly in place, I grind off the protruding
shank then continue to fill the hole with the wire-fed welder.
  Unless the piece you are looking at is entirely beyond repair, I would
look at filling the holes before replacing it.

1959 Chevrolet Apache      ____    3100