[oletrucks] cab mounts and door hinges

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] cab mounts and door hinges
From: thistle@midcoast.com (Kathy Bray)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:00:20 -0400
Hi all,

I have a question about cab mounts and door hinges....

When I bought my '52 truck several months ago the driver's side upper door
hinge had a broken hinge pin so the whole door sagged and even with the
latch striker plate in its lowest position you still had to push up on the
door as you slammed it shut to get it to trip the latch. Almost all of the
felt lined door glass channel guides were missing so the window glass
really took a beating (and eventually broke) with this slamming action.
After checking through catalogs and my shop manual, I figured I could
handle replacing the windows and channel guides myself but I wasn't sure
about the hinge problem so I took the truck to the shop who had done work
on it before. They told me that before I did anything the cab mount under
the foward end of the door needed some work to the tune of $600....and then
they would replace the entire hinge and then I could replace the door
windows. They said they would give me a call when they found a hinge and
then I could schedule a time to bring in the truck.

Well...a month later I still hadn't heard from them about the hinge,
etc...and I was getting pretty tired of not having any windows (the
passenger's side window broke too--door hinge was fine but window had no
channel guides), so I went back to the catalogs and ordered channel guides,
weatherstripping, glass, etc.. along with a door hinge rebuild kit and
hinge springs. This weekend I replaced the windows, channel guides, etc..
It was so much fun I decided to take the plunge and investigate the hinge
problem. I removed the hinge but couldn't get the old pin out so I took it
to the garage up the street and they drilled it out and everything went
back together with no problems. The door shuts fine and doesn't sag
anymore.

Sooo....is this cab mount something I should worry about in the short
term?? This truck is very solid with very little rust except for this one
cab mount. I realize that it should be replaced at some point but if it is
not a safety issue I would rather wait and do it another time. Any advise
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy Bray
and "Old Bess" '52 3100