[oletrucks] Re: gas tank questions

To: "Oletrucks List Server" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: gas tank questions
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:21:44 -0400
First, I don't think the dents will cause any problems whatsoever.  The
varnish, on the other hand, I'm not sure about.  If new raw gas slowly
dissolves it, it may just pass through the engine & cause no problems.  If
it stays hard forever, it may be no problem either, but if it turns to gel
or starts to flake it cause you a lot of grief.  I'm posting to the list for
some other experiences (mine wasn't varnished up, so I didn't deal with that
problem).

I will say, however, that $300 should cover gold plating the tank!  I got
mine boiled out (not steam cleaned, but soaked in a mild alkali solution for
about a week) for $50 (although now I'm cleaning it again in prep for
sealer) & the seal job is estimated at $125.

I've seen new Stainless Steel tanks for $350 approx.

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX