RE: [oletrucks] Octane inquiry

To: Tim Lloyd <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>, Ole Truckers
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Octane inquiry
From: MIKE RAHL <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 07:37:44 -0600
Tim,
Here in Colorado we can get away with somewhat less octane due to the
elevation.  The same volume of air/fuel is drawn in, but it is less
dense because the air is less dense.  Therefore it is less likely to
pre-detonate because it is under less pressure.  Our regular unleaded
around here (Denver area) is 85 octane.  I don't recall the source, but
I remember reading a statistic of one point less per 1000 feet of
elevation gain.
Mike