Re: [oletrucks] 316 Engine

To: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 316 Engine
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 14:56:33 -0700
There were two different gear sets offered for the 1956 GMC trucks.  I
think 3.90:1 was the "standard" and there was a highway gear offered for
56.  I don't know the exact ratio, but 3.07:1 sounds about right.

VIN
102=Long Wheel base 1/2 ton
8= V-8 (for 56 this meant a 316ci Pontiac)
C= California production facility (I don't remember what city), P=Pontiac,
MI assembly
X= basically a 1956 model year.  (GMC didn't technically do "model years"
but it is a rough equivalent. Y=1955, and I think T=1957.
2974= sequential production number (I think they started at 1000)

I wish I could be of more help, but most of my stuff is packed away getting
ready to move to Montana in July.  Take care.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco