[oletrucks] Stovebolt On An engine Stand

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us
Subject: [oletrucks] Stovebolt On An engine Stand
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:30:17 EST
        I think that grabbing the bell housing by a couple of bolts AND
supporting
the front of the engine at the side motor mounts would probably work fine for
bench running the motor. There is no load on them and freely revving they have
remarkably little torque. A couple of years ago, I saw a new NASCAR Hudson 7X
racing engine sitting on a workbench and NOT BOLTED DOWN AT ALL started up and
run for an impromptu demonstration. I stood well back, half expecting to see
this priceless work of mechanical art smash itself on the deck. It did roll
sideways a little bit with revs but it was really no trauma (except to the
ears).
        I my own case, the motor comes from a reliable source and really just
needs
cleaning up and repainting. I'll just bolt it up sans flywheel and leave the
test running until it's mounted in the chassis.

Paul O'Neil,
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
Hudson29@aol.com