[oletrucks] suburban book

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] suburban book
From: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:14:43 +0000
I have no doubt that a book on suburban carryalls will put me to the
test. I knew it before I made my first call to GM archives as I had
been unaggressively searching for sub info for the past 2 years and,
short of John Gunnells book on Chev PUs, I had found close to
nothing.  Real brain strain and I consider myself a very adept
researcher.

So, it is exciting yet formidable.  Compounded by the fact that if I
have to pay for all the research myself - I won't have any money left
to fix up my plethora of classics.  My ace in the hole is that I have
been working with a PR and marketing agency (my mothers) for the past
8 years (not any more - I hate offices) and she is proficient at
convincing companies that it is in their best interest to become
involved with a project like this.  So, if I can get GM to underwrite
the research cost, the material will start flowing in.

I do agree that the emphasis should be on those beautiful factory
photos (I am going too wallpaper my house with them), those inspiring
publicity photos showing the vehicle at work and the original
advertisements.  I will definitly include unrestored vehicles in any
condition as they are proof that these beasts were made to last - my
58 chev napco sub is testament after being used continuously and
laboriously since it rolled off the napco line.   I am not sure how
to integrate the restorations in progress.  I am a purist and I don't
like customs. I don't mind subtle upgrades as the world has changed
since those golden AD & TF days and if we want to keep using these
old trucks (as opposed to keeping them in the garage or showing them
- both of which I haven't an interest in) then sometimes an upgrade
keeps us rolling down the road.  If I lived in Mayberry, I would
keep my trucks all original but living in Houston - I need something
that can get me where I need to go and do the job.  My 51 3100 is all
original. I have used it as a work truck since I bought it 10 years
ago - and it has performed admirably.  But as my work now reaches to
the farthest corners of Houston and requires off road traction - I
have elected to run modern 4x4 equipment.  I can always change it
back over a weekend.

Perhaps a color section at the end of every year chapter with every
unrestored & restored suburban I can find that has not been chopped
or otherwise disgustingly customized.

I would love to include panels but that is a whole other research
cost as, even though they are just suburbans without windows for the
most part, they are still their own animal.  No offence to the panel
owners but I kind of like a clean title - Suburban Carryalls -
1935(7?) - 1972.  Don't get me wrong - I love panels.  And canopy
trucks!  But I fiend for suburbans.

My mother wanted me to take over the note on her 97 sub and I said -
no way - I am not going to spend 20,000+ on a machine that lacks
style, durability and is overpriced. Hell, for 5-8,000 - my TF subs
can be restored to the last bolt, are better suited to off road with
the 114" WB and they are appreciating (not that I would ever sell
even one of them but it's a nice feeling).  And they are unique as
they come.

I think one of the hardest parts of this book will be securing
production data. Apparently, it has all been thrown away.  We'll see
- I have yet to begin pestering GM to my fullest potential - they
will hate me when I am done!

Anyway, I really want to do this.  I know I can write the copy and
the pics do exist - somewhere in those umpteen drawers of archives up
thar in D'troit.

One thing is for sure - I have a lot to learn.
Anybody have a line on a 39/40 sub or a 46/47?  Let me know.
Eric