Re: [oletrucks] paint question

To: Brad Newman <bkn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] paint question
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob, Margie, Nick & Andrea)
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 05:18:25 GMT
On Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:07:46 -0600, you wrote:

>I am about to paint my 49 3100 Cape Maroon, which was an original color.
>It is possible to purchase this paint through Jim Carter and some of the
>other vendors, but I also called a local auto paint shop, and this is
>where the confusion starts. I gave the guy at the paint shop the Duco
>number (SM-681-A), and after a while he tells me that there is an almost
>exact color match offered on the 99 model Chevy's, and since it was so
>close, why wouldn't I want to use that color in a base coat clear coat?
>I really couldn't give him a good answer.
>I did not build my truck as a show truck, but up to this point it has
>basically turned into one. It is all original, and I am sure that I will
>be entering it in local shows as they come around. My question is this:
>will using a base coat clear coat take points off during judging, or is
>there even a big enough difference between the 2 types of paint (new vs
>old) to tell? The guy at the shop tells me that base coat clear coat
>will look like a highly polished lacquer (not to mention last much
>longer, be more chip and fade resistant, etc.), and will really turn
>heads.

Without actually seeing the two paints next to each other, I can't really
comment on using an existing paint versus a custom mixed paint other than I
believe it would be cheaper to go that route.  As to originality, if that is you
goal, then definitely a base coat/clear coat paint job will cost you points (not
even sure if you would be able to enter a AACA meet as they demand originality
almost totally).  However, there are plenty of non-AACA meets/shows that allow a
bit of modification from original, so you would not completely eliminate
entering shows.  However, there is no comparison between original paint and
base/clear.  As to "well polished lacquer", you would not have found an original
truck with a "highly polished" lacquer paint job either.  So....IMHO, if
completely original is not an absolute, and your main goal is a beautiful paint
job, then go base/clear.  Only you will be able to decide if the '99 model paint
is close enough to what you are aiming for.

Hope this helps.

Rob