Re: [Nobbc] Speaking of MG's

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Speaking of MG's
From: Greg Tatarian <gtwincams@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 06:38:28 -0700
Hi Clif,

Thanks for passing this along, particularly interesting because it's a
local car. Not sure who the owner is, as I haven't seen the car at any
of our Lotus club events.

It always worries me to see so few pictures in an eBay listing,
especially poor quality ones. The description also doesn't say anything
useful. What I see in the photos shows the Stromberg head has been
swapped out for a Weber head, which some prefer, and it's got an
aftermarket aluminum radiator, headers, small alternator, the engine bay
looks pretty nice, and it's got sticky tires, but the seller admits the
exterior is only OK.

The devil is in the details with these cars - body, paint, interior
materials and some fittings are very expensive. The price is not only at
the top for the model, but I've never even seen an S4 at this price. An
earlier car (S1-S3) in concours condition can command this figure, and
of course the true race car versions are in the quarter-million
territory now, but an S4 in the condition this appears to be in should
sell for maybe $20-25k, less if there are issues.

There have been lots of interesting cars highlighted on Bring a Trailer
recently - guess now we're in the summer, sellers are active. Here's a
recent BGT...
http://bringatrailer.com/2011/06/13/bargain-driver-1-owner-1974-mgb-gt/

And Clif - in case you need a parts car...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2450180023.html
seems cheap.

Cheers,
Greg