Re: [Nobbc] Racing vs. track days vs. ?

To: "North Bay British Car Club" <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Racing vs. track days vs. ?
From: "Mike Gianandrea" <mvg1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:55:03 -0700
Hi All

As Greg mentions, there are ways to go racing quickly and inexpensively, IF
that is what you want. There is an organization called National auot Sport
Association (NASA) this is similar to SCCA, but much less expensive and far
fewer and looser rules that gets you racing in a day. After a $50 membership
fee, and some initial info, you can attend race weekends at Thunder Hill and
actually go racing. You must pass a tech inspection, roughly $100, a call to
NASA, based in Richmond, CA. take a group I beginners race with an
instructor in the car, who will instruct you on the basics of finding the
racing line, cornering, etc., everything you need to know to race as fast as
you are comfortable, cost is about $150 for the weeknd, and then if you pass
you can move up to group II or III, and actually go racing. They will keep
you in the appropriate group for your skill and ability, and if you don't
pass, you can take the group I race again until you do pass. Take some
tools, a helmet, and some other essentials, stay at a motel nearby, and you
can race all weekend. They hold these race sessions several times a year.
But as Greg mentioned, you will go through tire and brakes more quickly, but
heh, how much fun can you have. All you need is a drivers license, a helmet,
and the car that you own. That could be a fun weekend for the group.

Michael
64 TR4