Re: [Nobbc] Sheryl and Dennis - OD trans for your B

To: "'North Bay British Car Club'" <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Sheryl and Dennis - OD trans for your B
From: "Andy Preston" <andypreston@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:57:47 -0700
Sheryl, this O/D will fit your car.  MG only made 2 overdrive units.  The D
type for 62-67 and the LH type for 68-80.  In 1975 they modified the LH type
so it only had O/D on fourth gear whereas the earlier LH type has O/D on
third and fourth.  The earlier ones are the better ones to buy because they
also work on third which is great around country roads.  There's really no
way to check the O/D out before you install it in the car.  It either works
or it's doesn't.  One thing to check before you write the check is the
solenoid.  This is on the bottom of the unit.  When connected to a 12v
source you must hear the solenoid click in and out when power is supplied on
and off.  Otherwise it's pretty much a crap shoot.  I've bought 2 O/D sight
unseen and they both work great.  Unless the Previous owner ran it without
oil which is impossible because it uses the same oil as the gearbox it
should be OK.  To have an O/D rebuilt will cost you more than the original
cost.  Like everything else that's old you pay your money and take your
chance.  BTW also have Dennis remove the side inspection cover of the
gearbox to have a quick check of the gears, but the gearbox is pretty much
bullet proof and normally only the syncros need replacing which is a very
straight forward job, (remember which bolt has the rubber washer). Another
tech session in the making.  I know that Greg is also good at gearbox
rebuilds, he's probably done more than me.

Hope this help,

Andy