newsletters

Re: Permission to reprint

To: Fred Kuzyk <msccc@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Permission to reprint
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:17:17 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Fred Kuzyk wrote:

> Ron,
> While I'm unaware of policies at Autoweek, we recently discovered that
> permission isn't always granted by publications, and some are not
> pleased  by the exposure of using their credited material. Our Club
> swaps ads with British Car magazine. Our Editor has been sending them
> complimentary copies of our newsletter. When the magazine ran a 1 page
> article on Morgan cars recently, our Editor ran this credited article,
> without permission. Error! Had he asked for permission, it would not be
> granted! Their policy is not to grant permission to reprint any of their
> material! We had to print an apology, refrain from this behaviour in the
> future, yadda, yadda. The only legal thing you can do with this
> particular publication is "the brief quotes" that are allowed by
> copyright law, and of course, to steer your readership towards articles
> of interest, so that they purchase the quoted publication! Future
> law-breakers consider yourselves warned!

Yes, and in spite of the paltry sums that these publishers pay for copy to
put in their publications, it's a wonder that any of them stay in
business. Go figure.

And this is precisely why we don't put any copyrighted stuff in our
newsletter. I have no control of circulation outside of our club and I
know that we have members that make copies and mail them to other clubs
and businesses and the like.

Oh well.

> Fred Kuzyk
> President, Morgan Sports Car Club of Canada

regards,
rml

p.s. Do you think that the William Randolph Hearst started this way???
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |