morris

Re: Interesting historic kit on Austrailian eBay

To: "Paul Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting historic kit on Austrailian eBay
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:07:11 -0800
>As stated, this is Paul Kelly's work.  Marvelous craftsman and car modifier is
>Paul K.  Look at his stuff, it'll blow you away.
>
>Paul A
This just in from Paul:

Rick,

Looking at the posting the guy has no idea of who made it and when. He has even
listed the wrong model Datsun gearbox.

These were a great kit that could be fitted at home in a weekend. All the owner
had to buy apart from the kit was a S/H gearbox, everything else was supplied
in the kit. And you reused the Morris tail shaft (after fitting the new front
yoke)

Only ever made 30 to 40 of these kits before the development of the Toyota 5
speed kit was finished and put into production The tooling and patterns still
exist for the Datsun kit

Paul

 Rick,

  I wrote Paul Asgeirsson in Oregon and asked if this was one of his early
kits.

  http://tinyurl.com/3dpbku

  Thanks for the information,

  Vigil
  California

Dear Paul:

I admire your engineering!

One of these days I want to travel to your country, buy one those  cool chop
top Morris coupes I have seen you build in photos and go on a drive  about.
I want to put on a train to cross the country and then bring it  home on a
boat. My version of a car-safari...

After thirty years of dodgy gearboxes I decided to face one of  my fears...
My son Austin read from the book while I took apart a smooth  case.  We even
had a blow up of the diagram from the service manual. It all  went like  clock
work. So I took another apart on my own... Last night I  dreamed about the
re- assembly only 205 parts I think I can manage  it.

My last gear boxes fiasco went like this: I  was chasing parts for someone I
thought was a friend. He was rebuilding one at  his shop for his customer & he
agreed to rebuild 2 gear boxes for me as  well. I would have to track down
the parts for my boxes too.

He finished his Job for his customer.  One week later he  handed the two gear
boxes back, apart in a box, charged me for disassembly and  said he had no
time to put them back together. I was pissed to say the  least...

It was suggested to me that he had built one box out three using my  boxes
for the bits he needed?

I decided I would rather screw it up my self than be cheated.

We are having a transmission party and I have a few old timers  dropping by
who have done it before. This fiasco should end up being  fun.

Good luck with the E-bay sale

Randolph Williams
1310 827  2727
http://members.aol.com/dolphnx