morris

Re: Crankshaft/Clutch/Measurements &/or compatibility

To: <morris@autox.team.net>, "Kevin Wayne Williams" <kww@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft/Clutch/Measurements &/or compatibility
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:52:40 -0700
Hi Kevin,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Wayne Williams" <kww@gte.net>

> >There are 3 TO bearings used on the inline "A" series engines.  You use
the
> >one that goes with the engine, without regard to which transmission
you're
> >using.
>
> Are you sure about that, Paul? When I used a 948 throwout bearing on my
948
> mounted ribcase, I got no clutch action. I used a 1275 TO to get it to
work.

A stock 948 flywheel is 1.2" thick.  A stock 1098 flywheel is .9" thick.  If
a 948 flywheel is lightened or a 1098 one used on a 948, guess what!  The
distance from the back of the engine back plate is changed also.  This
coupled with the fact that a ribcase has the input shaft protruding out
further from the trans case, a thicker engine backing plate is typically
used so the input shaft won't bottom out in the end of the 948 crankshaft.
Sense any changes being possible?  Mix and match, (or non match) hardly
apply to my original statement.

Pa