morris

Lucas Armature Numbers

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas Armature Numbers
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:47:21 -0800
11/18/02

Hello listers,

        Thanks for the generator brush source information--I have located
and ordered 6 sets of them.  I find myself studying these little Lucas
beasties more closely than ever before and have discovered an interesting
bit of trivia I could use some help with.  These are C40 generators I am
rebuilding.  On the front end of the armature shaft, just in front of the
wire windings, there is a little "collar" which fits in a groove machined
in the shaft.  This collar is, in turn, covered by a thin sheet metal
shroud which slips over it.  Taking the sheet metal shroud off of a no-good
armature I have, I discovered what is apparently the Lucas part number for
the armature.  It is an 8-digit number followed by a 1-letter, 2-digit code
which looks like a date code.  This kind of stuff always fascinates me, so
my question is-----does anybody have any information as to how to interpret
these numbers--like which numbers go with which generator models, etc.---.
Pretty far out stuff possibly, but I would love to see anything anybody has.

Cheers,
David Kernberger