Morgan Bulkhead Brace

To: emog@lyris.dundee.net, morgans@autox.team.net, mogtalk@mscc.uk.com
Subject: Morgan Bulkhead Brace
From: deemi@juno.com
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 15:41:51 -0500
Another question for the wise list!

I found a bulkhead brace in my morgan, and have several emails from
others who have one, including other Super Sports of the period.

its one inch OD tubing thin, about 1/32 thickness, and has each end
flattened two inches with a bolt hole 1/4 inch diamter going throught it,
then the corner of the scuttle, then through the toolbox and bulhead near
the top corner.

the other side I am not sure of at this time as the bar was broken with
the other half gone.

I did see in pictures in original morgan some cars with what appears to
be a bolt going through a similar point on the left.

It is a factory bit, as I just had a new one sent from the factory this
week.  Its the same in dimension, flattening etc on the end I have.

I am trying to find out whether

1)is this a standard fitting to all morgans of the period?

2)how long is the brace for others?  (the factory just sent one at 41
inches, but may be a bit long)

3)on the left side where does yours attach.

4)its not on all cars, so does it stiffen the bulkhead then?  in
conjunction with Upper Cross axle braces this should have stiffened the
car quite a bit.

5)any insight appreciated!

Bob Bowie in Maine
1963 Morgan SS