Moss Box Oil

To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Moss Box Oil
From: "Fred Birkbeck" <fredb@caboolture.net.au>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:01:43 +1000
The recent correspondence on +8 gearbox oil has prompted me......
I changed the gearbox oil in my 1951 +4 (Moss Box) to Shell synthetic, based
on a few recommendations, some 3 years ago.
It seems to have been running OK for the last 4,000 miles, but I have not
lifted the top to inspect, or changed the oil to check on contaminants.
I have heard recently that synthetic oil is now not recommended as it -
quote "dissolves the bronze components in the gearbox" unquote ???
Can anyone offer their thoughts on this matter.
Best regards from an isolated enthusiast.
Fred Birkbeck, Australia

///
///