Re: Tire jack

To: john manning <jlm10@freewwweb.com>
Subject: Re: Tire jack
From: "Colin Cobb " <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:23:59 -0700
Hey John,

On my '66 Plus 4 Four Seater (RHD) the factory jack points are roughly
between the driver's knees and front passenger's knees. The factory jack is
a screw jack with a longish lip that fits a receptacle on the cross member.
The style is used by many Brit cars.

I don't like that style of jack so have carried a very low scissors jack
(bought at Pep Boys) for many, many years.

I've never had to use it on the road but my wife (the car was her daily
driver for many years) tried to do so while we lived in rural Texas. She was
driving along after a rain storm when the right rear went flat. She put the
jack under the car but it kept sinking in the mud... Two cowboys stopped to
help her, looked the situation over, discarded the jack, hammered off the
knock-off, and one cowboy picked up the right rear corner while the other
one jerked the wheel and stuck the spare on. In a matter of minutes my wife
was on her way again...

Yes, it IS light car....

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'65 Sunbeam Tiger, '66 Morgan Plus Four, '67 Sunbeam Alpine, '89 Alfa Romeo
Spider