Aero 8

To: Morgan List <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aero 8
From: Steve Manwell <smanwell@sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:53:40 -0500
Hi Gang,

Watching the unveiling on the web cam this morning gave a real sense of
occaision the introduction of the new Mog even from miles away on a
different continent.  I had expected a name like +8 Super Sports, but
Aero 8 was a nice surprise -- a connection with Morgan heritage without
recycling "Morgan's Finest Hour" at Le Mans.

>From what's visible on the main web page and the web cam shots from
various angles after the unveiling, it looks new and daring enough to be
fresh, but it has plenty in common with traditional Morgans.  To me it
makes sense to clothe an advanced chassis in stylish new duds.  It looks
like the headlights have been combined with bumper protusions to form a
large air intake -- clever.  Does anyone know what the construction is
in this area?  Aluminum skin over the bumpers or a flexible cover?

I was surprised that the nose and hood/bonnet appear to be very similar
to the traditional style.  The windshield, doors, top/hood, and the
upper body at the base of the top remind me of a drophead coupe.  The
dashboard and header below the windshield remind me of the dropheads
too, but the exposed wood and alloy and general decor look very modern.

I can't imagine ever affording an Aero 8, but it looks like an exciting
new flagship. With 40 to 50% better power and torque to weigh and full
independent suspension, performance should be terrific.

The photo of the chassis on the webpage suggests that the traditional
bodywork might fit on the new chassis.  The rear of the chassis slopes
downward steeply, suggesting that the standard two seater body might fit
with modifications to the wooden framing.  The bulkhead and engine side
valences look very familiar too.  I would guess that even though the
Aero 8 has a radical new body, Morgan could use the new chassis for a
range of applications in the future.

--Steve