Re: Looking for Mr. Good-Trans

To: "DeLuca, Joseph" <Joseph.DeLuca@wl.com>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for Mr. Good-Trans
From: "John Pavone" <jpavone@inacom.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 06:36:59 -0600

From: "DeLuca, Joseph" <Joseph.DeLuca@wl.com> on 01/14/2000 01:09 PM CST

To:   Morgans <morgans@autox.team.net>@SMTP@Exchange
cc:
Subject:  Looking for Mr. Good-Trans

Hello Folks,

I'm searching for a tranny replacement for my '62 4/4.  The reverse
gear is packing it in, popping out whenever I back up.  I reckon a
trans replacement is cheaper than the labor for a fix, especially
since one Bozo tried without success.

The engine and trans in the car now are replacements.  The
engine is a 1500cc non-crossflow Ford replacing the original
1300cc motor. It's probably a '63 or '64.

And the trans is presumably it's mate, since the peculiar push-
pull Morgan shifter was eliminated and replaced with a standard
stick-shifter, bent over so as to fit under the dash (which works
remarkably well)

For you numbers types, the model number cast into the
right side of the current trans is "116E 7651B" and there's
an "F2" cast on the left side.

Anybody got any leads?

Thanks!

Joe D

Joe D,

A while back I bought a used Ford 4 speed tranny "as is" at a very reasonable
      price from a reputable shop to replace my 3 speed. I was told that
      internally it was in good shape and ready to bolt in. To be on the safe
      side I sent it out J.A.E. (805) 967-5767 to be looked over. I was soon
      informed that internally the tranny was a mess!!  It was a "bitsa" with
      bits of various other transmissions just thrown together. Additionally,
      there was rust on the main shaft which necessitated its replacement. The
      rebuild cost ended up being twice the cost of the tranny purchase price.

If I ever again purchased a used transmission I would insist on some sort of
      warranty!

Regards,

John