Re: Valve cover SS and vacume advance

To: <FPS3@aol.com>, <Gukedad@aol.com>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve cover SS and vacume advance
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:46:28 -0800
The Super Sports did not have vacuum advance.  Vacuum advance as fitted to a
TR engine was designed and functions as a fuel economy device and has no
function relating to performance.  It uses "ported vacuum."  This means that
there is only a  vacuum signal to the distributor that  causes any advance
at part throttle.  At idle and during full throttle operation there is no
vacuum advance.  It would be possible to install vacuum advance as a fuel
economy device on an engine with Webers but to do it correctly it would be
necessary to drill small holes in all of the inlet manifold runners and
connect them all together with small diameter tubing goinginto a small
chamber that would smooth out the individual vacuum pulses from each
cylinder so that the vacuum advance diaphragm would feel a smooth, steady
vacuum and not a pulsed vacuum.  This setup would get full advance at idle
when the throttle is closed.  That would require very accurate throttle
balancing and adjustment.  I have never done it , but I think that it would
work ok and might give a significant increase in gas mileage.  As far as I
know, there are no cars with Weber DCOE carbs that were fitted with vacuum
advance from the factory.

Regards, Greg Solow
    PS A PCV system would need to be handled the same way but the passages
would need to be larger and that would destroy the "independent runner"
setup that Webers need to function really well.