Re: Valve cover SS

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>, <Chip.Brown@msdw.com>
Subject: Re: Valve cover SS
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:34:09 -0600
Chip,

Vacuum advance only effects light throttle operation.  If it is at all
dodgy then disabling it would indeed improve performance.  The down
sides could include lower cruise fuel economy, a slightly less musical
exhaust at cruise (sounds more labored) and "fluffy" initial
acceleration from cruise.  It would probably effect emissions as well.
Many LBC's in the late seventies used a vacuum retard system to help
meet the emission standards.  A joke of the lowest order if you ask me.

Regards,
Bill Eastman

>>> "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <Chip.Brown@msdw.com> 01/10/00 01:59PM >>>
I am sure you'll all cringe at this, but faced with an erratic vacuum
advance mechanism, I drilled a hole in the moving plate and fastened
the
whole mess down so my vacuum advance is deactivated. Plugged up the
hole
and tuned the whole think up after taking on the Pertronix. Runs like
champ and now tops 100 (mostly) at the Lime Rock straight. New Year's
greetings to .the whole fam damily.

Chip Brown