RE: Need Morgan Opinions

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Need Morgan Opinions
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:55:38 -0800
Bart,
I have read the many replies to your request for comments and I thought I
would throw in my 2 cents worth as a first time plus 4 owner. I also have
owned many British cars in the past and I can say I have had fun with all of
them. However I can also say that I am having great fun with the Morgan. I
find the difference is when I get into the Morgan it just screams at me to
drive it hard. I like sliding around corners and just doing all kinds of
crazy things that I didn't really get the urge to do with my other British
cars. Maybe I am entering my second childhood, but I am having fun. I have
now even become very interested in racing. I was interested in watching
vintage racing when I had my other cars, but with the Morgan I want to race
it.

My car is a 67 plus 4 and I spent last winter taking it apart. It was
supposedly restored, but that definition varies greatly from person to
person. I ended up taking apart the engine, trani, radiator, gas tank and
rear end. I also totally rebuilt the brakes since before that I felt I was
pushing my foot through the floor to stop the car. Anyway it has been great
this past summer and I did not break down even once. However I did smoke
some wires in early November when I was heading to an autocross. Apparently
my headlight wiring shorted and I ended up having to totally rewire that
circuit. Luckily I shut off the head lights before those wires melted into
other critical wires. Now I get almost as much pleasure from working on the
car as I do driving it. I love to tinker and rebuilt things so this car is
an excellent fit.

I have never driven a +8 and only drove a 4/4 once, but I am sure they are
all similar and great fun. I have read considerable discussions about "hot"
4/4's and it has made me think that may be the next car I look for.

So anyway what I believe is great about these cars is that they are fun to
drive and there is always something to do on them, either to fix something
or making it run better/faster/etc.

Good luck in your search,
Phil Roettjer
67 +4