Re: cotter key for rear axel

To: Morgan List <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cotter key for rear axel
From: "David Burkette" <pdburket@intrepid.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:30:54 -0500
Morganeers,

I have a few questions concerning the rear axles on my Plus 4.  The right
rear axle on my car was probably replaced at some time with what looks to be
a left axle. ( The axle nut turns to the rt. on the rt. hand axle)  Also I
haven't been able to line up the holes on the hub and axle on either side
for a cotter key.  I was told that as long as the axle nuts are snug on both
sides, as they are now, I wouldn't have a problem.   If I really wanted
cotter keys installed,  I was told that new holes could be drilled  into
both axles.  It seems to me I would run the risk of rendering both axles too
weak after drilling an additional hole in each axle, especially if I
happened to drill near or into the original hole.

Your input is welcomed.

Back into the garage,

David