RE: Where is everybody?

To: "'jimgcusavecom@webtv.net'" <jimgcusavecom@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: Where is everybody?
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:42:16 -0500
Jim

Sure is nice to be missed!  No, I have not fallen off the edge of the earth,
nor have I sold the +4.  Au contraire, I've just been too busy, working
(lab, office), teaching (college), traveling (Las Vegas, Nevada Test Site,
Lake Tahoe) to think many Morgan thoughts.

Two "issues," though.

1. I was moving the +4 in the garage last Friday to make room for something
else (my MR2 for the winter) and noted that the valve stem on one of my
tires was bad.  I drove to the nearest tire store (25 km away) to see what
they would suggest.  Surprise, surprise!  They have 5.50x16 inner tubes
("farm equipment") that ought to fir my old Dunlop 5.50x16 tires.  Only 13
C$ each plus 5 C$ installation.  While the Morgan awaits restoring, all I
need is something to hold air.  I will eventually have to get new tires, but
that can wait.

2. On the way home yesterday afternoon from Las Vegas which, by the way, had
been inundated with some 200 000 COMDEX people, I paged through a copy of
Car & Driver (the one with the 4-seat Morgan).  There was an interesting
article about motor oils in "older" (more mature?) cars.  Something about
compatibility (or lack thereof) between additives and seals.  Any comments
from anybody out there?

Anyway, Jim, glad to have you back again.  For many of us, hibernation time
is upon us.  In Southern Manitoba, though, it still looks like fall.  Two
weeks ago it was so mild (17 C), that the golf courses were opened again in
Winnipeg. Normal high for this time of year is 0 C!  By this time, we
usually have some snow, but not this year.  Hurray for global warming!  Keep
those cars running, burn fossil fuels and shut down nuclear reactors!
(oops, there goes my industry).  But, as one of my coworkers once said, "I
have not come to praise nuclear energy, but to bury it)

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB