Morgans at VSCCA Fall Finale

To: "morgans@autox.team.net" <morgans@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Morgans at VSCCA Fall Finale
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <ebrown@ms.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:29:57 -0400
Morgans were well represented at the VSCCA's Fall Finale this weekend:
four Plus 4's, one 4/4, three trikes spanning the history of the MMC.
There aren't really winners or losers at these sessions: people race
hard, but the idea is to display and preserve the equipment, not win at
all costs.  Mike Virr and I (my 57 Plus 4, Mike's 59 4/4) raced in the
"Slow under two liter" class, while Dave Brownell, ('61 Plus 4) and Curt
Conner ('59 Plus 4) were in the "Fast under two liter" class, and a '58
Plus 4, I think driven by John Jacobson, drove in the preservation
class. Lap times, more than displacement, determine where you drive.
Mike's 4/4 spots me at least a liter of displacement, but is a lighter
car, and Mike's a master driver, so I mostly saw his taillights
disappearing around the next bend despite being gridded within three
cars. Nevertheless I had six good drives, had some great dices and came
away smiling. Plus my generator bracket remained attached to the block
and the oil stayed in the crankcase.  Mike seemed happy with the way his
car was running too, but a sore back was making his life Hell.

The trikes: a green '28 aero owned by Jim Nichol, a brilliant yellow '36
super sport barrel back owned for twenty years by Jeff Jacobson, and
Chris Towner's very low '38 F-trike put on a show in the prewar class,
effectively having to race around a giant Bentley, and in turn being
passed by a slew of Bugattis, Aston Martins and other great old cars.

There were other Morgans represented at the meet. A gorgeous mid 60's
Plus four, antique ivory with wire wheels, was parked, but I didn't meet
the owner.

List denizen Phil Roettger, who owns a '56 Plus 4, came around to visit:
it is always great to meet the people on this list. Kind of like cousins
you didn't know you had. Also new Morgan owner Dick Odgers who has a '57
Plus 4 that he apparently acquired from one of our VARAC friends,
stopped by to say hello. Both of these guys are thinking of  racing
their cars in vintage racing. My advice (of course) is DO IT!!

It was particularly nice that all the Morgan cars seemed to hold
together just fine. Except for an Alfa Giulietta that blew its engine at
the entrance to Big Bend, most of the cars seemed to survive.

The weather was beautiful on Friday, the rain stayed away on Saturday,
and the Yanks won on Sat. night. Who could ask for more?

Chip Brown