handbrake - is there room for improvement

To: "Morgans" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: handbrake - is there room for improvement
From: "Hal Skurnick" <hals@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:03:06 -0400
Just rebuilding an installing a slave brake cylinder on my '60 4/4  -
girling type 301310W - it is shown in the morgan spares parts catalog (early
edition - green cover) on page 30 as item #1.
At the rear of the cylinder there is a sliding, push/pull  lever that enters
the cylinder, transfers motion to two roller dowel pins that in turn push up
on 2 angled cams that then push on the brake shoe.
In looking at the motion generated when going full on to full off with this
push/pull affair, I can barely see a 1/16" of motion that is transferred to
the brake shoes - this is probably the reason that handbrake barely holds
the car on the level - if there is any sort of a slope - forget about it.
Has anyone come up with an improvement - other than a rock in front of the
tires - or always leaving the car in gear.
The fact that the handbrake lever is a push/pull affair mounted under the
dash board and can't get any sort of leverage is another reason to wonder
about the need for an improvement.