Re: Morgan wires

To: <deemi@juno.com>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Morgan wires
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:33:19 -0700
Morgan +4 s came with 60 spoke wheels which were the same as the optional
"racing" wheel that were available on Austin Healey  3000s.  They were 4 1/2
inches wide.  TR-2,3,4 , MG-As, all came with 48 spoke wheels.  These were
also standard fittment on the Morgan 4/4s.  These are the wheels that gave
wire wheels a bad name for breaking spokes and always needing truing. TR-6s
came with 72 spoke wheels that are 5 1/2 inches wide.  They will fit on the
rear of a Morgan but will not clear the steering arm in the front.  MG-C
wheels are 72 spoke but have a different offset that moves the rim in toward
the centerline of the car.  They will not fit properly on a Morgan, there
are clearance problems with the suspension.  Morgan +4+s and later Super
Sports and some 66 and 67 +4s came with 5" wide 72 spoke wheel that I
believe also came on some Aston Martins and nothing else to my knowledge.
Their offset is different than that of the MG-C wheels.  These correct 5
inch wide, 72 spoke wheels are available and are made by both "Wheels India"
which is the current manufacturer of the original Dunlop wheel and by Dayton
Wire wheel and are sold by British Wire Wheel and by Moss Motors and
possibly others.  The 72 spoke wheels are VERY strong and on a Morgan Never
have spoke or truing problems in my experience.  I have even hit curbs hard
enough to bent the edge of the rim, and the wheel itself was still true.
For any serious high performance work they are definitely the only way to
go.  For normal road use with normal profile tires, the 60 spoke wheel are
adequate.

Regards, Greg Solow