Re: part colors

To: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: part colors
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:16:20 +0100
smithmog@ix.netcom.com writes
>Rudy-I have that book; it wouldn't be much help as most photos are
>black&white with little detail. I think the best reference book for your
>purpose is "Original Morgan 4/4,Plus4 and Plus 8" by John Worrell and Liz
>Turner(1992,Bayview Books, ISBN#1 870979 29 X )

I strongly agree with this recommendation. The photographs are in colour
and have been taken of either well known restored or unmolested cars by
a very good photographer. Its not as good as having an original car
parked next to you for reference, but is a fair substitute.

>That said, my limited
>observation is that for Morgans of the 60's, most running gear is either
>black ,or, in my car's case, some blue (Ford engine blue?) paint left in the
>spray gun at the factory that day which has effectively covered the rear
>axle, shocks, springs,driveshaft, etc for 31 years.

Black paint applied with a hairy brush is the official old factory
finish for everything that was not sprayed body colour. If the part was
bought in, say the engine for example, it would be left in the colour it
was supplied in.

>I've also seen red rear
>suspension on one other car.Many items, such as the firewall/cowl appear to
>have been painted with a broom. I guess this adds to the charm, but I don't
>think I would restore it to exactly this standard. Later cars appear to have
>a much nicer finish.

Cars post the 1986 changes would have most parts painted hairy black
powder coated instead, which would give a smooth even finish. John
Worrall suggests that a few cars in 1986 got hairy paint over the powder
coat!

No one would be cruel enough to restore a car to the finish supplied by
the factory originally, surely! Back in 1972, my car would have been
about GBP1100, when an E type Jaguar would have been GBP2400 and an Opel
GT about GBP2100 including taxes. As a cheap car made the hard way, any
Morgans original build and finish will be poor.

A new Morgan is now more than quite a few Mercedes, so the perceived
finish has to be a lot better. Comments from recent owners have been
mixed, but on the whole positive.
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str