Re: brake drums

To: DGreimel@aol.com, morgans@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake drums
From: FPS3@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 23:26:35 EDT
Don & all.

Datsun Z car drums fit with some mchining. Most Morgan racers seem to have
them- I wrote the proceedure in my book 7 years ago- here it is.

I saw the drums advertised "some machining required" for TR's- in a Roadster
factory add years ago. I called them (a year later...) and they had no more-
but told me that they were just Z-car drums. So I went to a boneyard, bought
some & yea... they work and work well.

You have to enlarge the center hole, drill the four holes for the drive pins
and the two for the bolts that hold the drum to the hub. Do not counter-sink
the holes for the bolts like the iron drums. Wheels will still clear with no
problems. I take mine to a machine shop to have the work done. Either take an
old drum or better, a hub for them to use as a pattern for the holes. Look
for a chamfer on the edge of the iron insert. If there is no chamfer left-
then the drum has already been turned to or beyond the safe limit.
   I've don a lot of these. It costs me 20-40 bucks per drum to have the
machining done- depending on how many are done at once.

There are also fined iron drums of the same pattern. I buy the drums used-
look for the chamfer. Might have the machine shop turn the drums too. They
usually do a more accurate job than an auto machine shop.

If you can open JPG files I'll send you a photo or two.

fred sisson

I had them on all four wheels on my '55. Really eliminated fade.