RE: Morgans and MG Ts

To: morgans <morgans@autox.team.net>, mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Morgans and MG Ts
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:54:16 -0400
Peter,

Interesting question. Morgans started off as 3-wheeled cars and the first
4-wheeled Morgan didn't see the light of day until ~1936. The hood (bonnet)
of the early Morgan (I'm looking at a replicated advertisement on page 71 of
Bowden's "Morgan, first and last of the real sports cars.") looks very much
like later models: only a central hinge running along the centre of the hood
(bonnet).

The MG TA also appeared around 1936 but looked a lot like the earlier PA
series and has a more angular hood (bonnet) than the Morgan.  From what I
can tell, the lower (vertical) side of the hood was hinged to the upper
(horizontal part).  The TC, TD, and TF had the same arrangement.

No doubt both the Morgan and the MG T series looked a lot like other cars of
that era and the designers most likely took styling cues from each other.

If you go back even further, the hoods of 3-wheeled Morgans look a bit like
some earlier MGs, or vice versa.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4
Pinawa, MB