Morgans-At-The-Point

To: "'morgans@autox.team.net'" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Morgans-At-The-Point
From: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:20:30 -0400
Listers - many thanks to those of you who reposted the info about
non-conforming cars to me.  As promised, enclosed find a write-up of  Morgan
goings-on at Summit Point.  Written in the first person (me) and subject to
being sent in parts if I begin to ramble . . .
THURS. Weatherman was right to the minute as he predicted clearing by 9:00 am
and I was able to load-up and make the 4 hour tow from NE PA in the dry.  My
"crew", aka wife Kerry, would be coming down on Fri.  One of us had to work,
thank God it didn't have to be me!  Arrived at SP around four but could find no
other Morgans nor even the suggestion of a Morgans-only paddock, so I picked a
spot just off the tarmac, a nice grassy area with plenty of shade, an area my
neighbors and I quickly dubbed the suburbs. "Across the street" were three very
friendly guys from MI with 356s.
FRI.  Another perfect early Fall day, filled with expectations and enthusiasm.
Bill Lightfoot ('59 +4) moved-in as my immediate neighbor.  I had never met
Bill before but he is a super-nice, friendly bloke and one fast Morgan driver.
I really enjoyed his advice and friendship.  The Spiwaks (MOPs members w/+4)
were around the corner but Dave was running his Formula Ford.  Attended
mandatory drivers meeting at the unHoly hour of 7:30 am and got in line for
tech.  Fellow came up and offered to tech the Moggy, guy turned out to be Don
Griemel (of list fame - more on him later) and it really was nice to be able to
put a face and voice with an email address.  First session out went well but I
am always slow and uncombatative.  It IS supposed to be practice you know!
Warm up the car (and you), check-out the repaving, and generally (for me
anyway) take it easy.  I always find it pretty amazing how fast some people are
"right-out-of-the-box" during the first session of the first day.  The Lotus 7s
and BMW 2002s were VERY fast.  Arrived back at camp to discover a small oil
leak, a small puddle collected on my undertray/airdam.  Hmm.  Cleaned it all up
but could find no leak?  Told Kerry, "As long as it doesn't get any worse we'll
be OK, it's not spewing all over and I'll just clean it up after every
session".  The only thing I could think of was a leaking oil cooler.  How
prophetic . . . .     Second session was going well until I got a strong whiff
of oil.  At the same time a Lotus 7 was coming up fast on my left (at turn 3,
an off camber LH that the Morgan actually seems to enjoy) and I wasn't sure if
he was going to banzai past me or not.  Although he was not even close to a
"legal" pass (his nose was even with my LH rear), I was afraid he might force
it and take us out so I figured I would move off line and let him through.
Better to go through the turn ugly and be safe.  Thought the apron would help
me but it was coated with gravel from other deviants and the next thing you
know I was off and through the gravel tr
60 per. Try that in your next-door neighbor's yard. Thought the car was going
to break in half but I just rode it out until I could safely rejoin the track.
Came in to the pits (mandatory after a four-off in practice) with the intention
of not going back out until I checked for damage.  Good thing.  Moggy was doing
its impression of the Exxon Vadelz, oil leak WAS from the oil cooler and I left
a trail from the pitlane back to the suburbs.  Removed oil cooler and cleaned
everything up.  Had a number of kind offers of spare oil coolers but all were
AN.  My older cooler has BSP fittings, silly me.  Just looped the oil line back
into the thermostat.  Started her up and everything was fine again.

End of Part 1
Part 2 - "Are we having fun yet?"
Part 3 - Morgan only race and the grand finale
      Craig     1968+8    #611