Re: Tyres and wheels

To: Ray Westwood <rwestwood@priory.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Tyres and wheels
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:44:38 +0100
Ray Westwood <rwestwood@priory.demon.co.uk> writes
>After 5 years of ownership my '87 4/4 4 seater is in need of a new set of
>tyres. Is tyre choice critical for Morgans - does anyone have
>recommendations/advice they could helpfully pass on?  My car has a mildly
>tuned CVH engine and I'm fairly happy with the handling currently - on
>Uniroyals which I keep at the regulation 18psi.

Back in May 1996, I asked this same question and received the same
answer for several sources, including John Worrall at Heart of England
Morgans. The suggestion was Goodyear GT80s, but I have no idea if they
are still available. Certainly, I have been very happy with them.

>A separate (potentially more expensive) query relates to wheels - I have
>Rostyles in quite good condition but have always yearned for red powder
>coated wires like the 4 seater supersports in John Worrall's book. The £1500
>(1500gbp) or so I've been quoted seems very high - are there any cheaper
>options available?

Changing to wire is always going to be the expensive option, as the hubs
have to be changed. Do you want wires that badly? Although they look
pretty, they are the very devil to clean properly. Each time I see any
concours cars I always take my metaphorical hat off to them, as I
certainly couldn't do it. I like driving not cleaning!
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str