RE: lubrication

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: lubrication
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:16:22 -0700
Don,
You are correct in your assumption. I have found that Mobil 1 90W does
behave like a lower viscosity regular oil. It's viscosity also does not
appear to vary as much as the regular oils with temperature. I have also
found that the higher weight non-synthetic oils not only can cause the
synchros to work poorly, but can prematurely wear them out. I wore out first
and second gear synchros in my 1970 Jaguar E-type in about 10K miles some
years back by running 140W.

However I have run regular 90W oil in MGB tranis for years without any
problems and these also call for 30W. Right now I run straight non-detergent
30W in my 67 MGB since it has overdrive and the overdrive mechanism would
not work well  with the heavier weight. The only problem is that I don't
really like the feel of this trani with the 30W. It get very notchy after it
get up to it operating temperature. By that I mean that it doesn't shift as
smooth as with either cold 30W or 90W at  higher temp.

I would welcome any comments from the group on their experience with
different oils in the Moss box. I have not tried either 30W or ATF, but mine
does seem to work well with the Mobil 1 90W

Regards,
Phil Roettjer
67 +4
67 MGB