RE: Valve clearances on a TR engine.

To: "MORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Valve clearances on a TR engine.
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:00:58 -0700
Harald,
I noticed that no one else had replied so I figured I would give it a shot.
My first experience at setting valves was on a 1967 MG Midget in 1970. I did
it wrong and it cost me a burnt valve. I have never had another problem
since I figured out how to do it right.

Anyway the following is the only trick you need to know. With the valve
cover off you will see eight valves. Number them from 1 to 8 starting in the
front. You adjust the valves as follows;

Adjust number 1 when # 8 is fully opened
Adjust number 2 when # 7 is fully opened
Adjust number 3 when # 6 is fully opened
Adjust number 4 when # 5 is fully opened
Adjust number 5 when # 4 is fully opened
Adjust number 6 when # 3 is fully opened
Adjust number 7 when # 2 is fully opened
Adjust number 8 when # 1 is fully opened

You know a valve is fully opened when the rocker is at its maximum tilt
pushing the valve the furthest down.
You should be able to tell the exhaust valves from the intake by looking at
the intake and exhaust manifolds, but it should be that 2, 3, 6, and 7 are
intake and 1, 4, 5, 8 are exhaust if my memory serves me correctly.

Good luck,
Phil Roettjer
67 +4
67 MGB