RE: Hot Road Trip

To: "'Blair, John'" <JBlair@scn.spawar.navy.mil>
Subject: RE: Hot Road Trip
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:49:25 -0400
John,

In your comment "One thing most of us forget, is just where in the US is
England east of?  Turns Out it is East of Goose Bay Labrador Canada.  A hot
day in England is about 75deg F.  Now my car will usually run OK as long as
the air temp. is less than 75.  Unfortunately, most of the US have summer
temps far in excess of 75 deg." you neglect the effect of ocean currents.
The climate in Newfoundland and Labrador is affected by the Labrador current
that flows from the North and brings icebergs to that part of Canada (and
led to the demise of the Titanic).  The UK, on the other hand, is warmed by
the Gulf stream that brings warm air from the Gulf of Mexico to Western
Europe (and even allows palm trees to grow in parts of the UK).

You probably know this but I thought I'd just point this out.

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4