RE: Tires/Tyres (Suppliers)

To: <SDviewpnt@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Tires/Tyres (Suppliers)
From: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:07:42 -0400
Steve wrote of the Michelin165x400 radial tires I found for my 1958 +
4.......

"You got a great deal.  Let me know how they feel.  I'm still looking for my
'56 +4 w/ the same wheels as yours.  BTW, are your wheels painted??  Did you
need any work done on them?  I saw a Plus 4 here at Barrett-Jackson that had
been chromed."

Hi Steve,
Yes, my wheels are painted (silver) with chrome hub caps. I didn't have to
do any work on them as the insides appeared quite smooth. The Michelins were
difficult to get on - not to actually get them on the rim, but to get the
beads to seat uniformly. I am still not sure that they have all bedded in
right - I am driving the car with the hope that the push and pulling as I
drive and corner will do the last bedding needed. The trick is to really
make sure the inside of the rims is smooth and VERY well lubricated prior to
trying to fit the tire. Don't use that washing up liquid stuff - use tons of
spray silicone and inflate them to about 60lbs, beat on the side walls with
a Rubber mallet if they don't pop into place. Hold off balancing them until
you've driven on them a bit.
The GRIP compared to the cross ply's which although a lot of fun, aren't
exactly confidence inspiring! God knows what they would be like on a wet
road with a 'groomed' surface!
People tell me that the Michelins stick - but when they let go, the REALLY
let go. So far, I have been throwing the car around quite a bit, and they
feel good to me.

Regards,

Jeff