Oil Leak

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Leak
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 99 22:15:50 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

I like to share  problems I run across on Duchess with the group in the hope
that it may save someone a long hunt in the future.

Since my engine rebuild last year Duchess has been oil tight, that is up to
a month ago when an oil spot started appearing under the engine.  A quick
check showed it to be right under the drain plug and with none coming from
behind the flywheel. I figured my drain plug was not sealing  very well and
planned on replacing it at the next oil change.
Well Thursday I changed the oil and put in the new plug. Friday morning
pulling out to go to work, I saw the ground was dry and I was happy.  This
morning I had a huge puddle again .  I dried off the pan and   it was not
coming from the plug or the rear seal and I could not find a  source for the
oil. I took a short early morning drive and came back and crawled back under
the car. Again the pan was wet and oil  was dripping, so again I wiped it
down and sat there looking for a source.  Soon  drops of oil again appeared
in the middle of the pan but with no trail to a source. Wipe again and the
source appeared.... A CRACK in the bottom of the pan !!!
The hair line crack was small enough to hold the oil at room temp but once
heated it would seep through the crack until the oil cooled .
I've pulled a spare pan out of ' The Garage With More Spare Parts Than Any
One Man Should Have'  and  Duchess will be ready for a run come sunset .

Bob Nogueira