Re: Lucas coils

To: Gerry.Willburn@trw.com, JBlair@scn.spawar.navy.mil, morgans@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Lucas coils
From: " LMG@GoMoG " <gomog@angelfire.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:07:07 -0400
---
LMG
GoMoG at
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/GoMoG/

A coil's sole purpose is to deliver a charge sufficent for a spark to jump the
gap in your spark plug. Coils are constructed to deliver only the amount of
charge that the "jump" requires. That being said, poorer quality coils have a
problem delivering that charge under less-than-ideal conditions especially when
coupled with standard or sub-standard wiring.

So, for example, when it rains, your plugs are not getting the charge they
need. Sport coils can deliver far more charge than a standard coil. This
redundancy is unused until the less-than-ideal conditons appear and then they
have the extra juice to keep you going without a murmur.

Mallory of Carson City produces arguably the best ignition components in the
auto industry. The specs on their high performance coils are awesome but you
can opt to go with their more conventionally configured chrome coil for EFI
(they also have to send a signal to your ECU) or chrome coil for non-EFI.
Curiously the tops are different colors and that may be the story on the Lucas
tops as well.

Lucas "sports coil" is a good coil as well putting out as high as 40,000 volts
if required but reputably it is still a good idea with them to use some
silicone spray against a rainy day.

LMG