Mallory Hi-Fire

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Mallory Hi-Fire
From: TrmpetDave@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 02:35:36 EDT
Several years ago I put a Mallory Unilite distributor on my '71 +8, and it
has been bullet-proof. No maintenance required, functions perfectly. Although
it was labeled "for competition use only, not for road use in California", I
had no trouble in passing the smog emissions tests. It has no vacuum advance.
I had to have a different hole bored in the lower end of the shaft for the
oil-pump drive, which I was afraid might weaken it, but no problems so far.
More recently, I added the Mallory Hi-Fire booster unit-a large heat sink
(about 4"X4"X10" cast aluminum housing, that can produce a spark about 1"
long-I think they sell it to Drag racers). They wanted it to be in a cool
place, which i could not find under the hood, so I put it in the left side of
the passenger compartment near the fire wall (scuttle). Since I added the
Hi-Fire my tach only reads up to 2800 rpm, then stops, no matter how much I
gun the engine. Does anyone know how to make my tach read correctly? I recall
a long time ago, when I had an Accel solid state ignition unit for a few
months,before it expired, there were a few little resistors attached to the
coil leads, that were there to make the tach work, but I can't remember the
details. Dave Collins, San Diego