Re: Ground Connections

To: Larry Mamlet <mamlet@dmv.com>
Subject: Re: Ground Connections
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@home.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:56:37 -0700
A similar incident with a slight twist occurred with my '68 Plus 4.
Adding the strap from battery to block is only one link in the
circuit.  I tell my tale here for others to gain wisdom...  Those that
already know can politely ignore it and be smug about it.

The first couple of hundred miles after getting my car were really
interesting since the ammeter would show a steady discharge for a
while and suddenly pulse to a 30 amp charge for about 5 minutes or
so.  Upon noticing that the charging stopped after a bump, I got out
and got under to find the bolt at the back of the generator (to the
block) was sitting there askew and without a nut.  When the generator
was hanging hard enough on the bolt, the ground return was complete
and the system charged.  Otherwise it was open circuit and no
charging.  A new bolt and nut with a lock washer solved the issue and
no problem since.

--
"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer