Re: CAR & DRIVER

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CAR & DRIVER
From: LSelz@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:57:54 EDT
RE: efforts to create/Federalize a new Morgan -

It's for sure that there are two really different kinds of Morgan
enthusiasts; those who like, drive, and run the old ones, and those who like,
drive, and run the old and new ones.

We who drive the old ones sort of depend on the efforts of those who support
the new ones, since part of the charm of owning one is that the factory is
still there and you can visit or talk to them, and that parts (hand-fitted
though they must be) are still being made.  So I support the efforts of those
who are struggling to help keep the factory going and the Morgans in charge.
I think it's a worthwhile effort.  If there were no Morgan factory you might
as well drive an MGTC.

However, during my Morgan search, I drove a new (1998)one and I can tell you
that I wouldn't buy one even if they cost $19,000 delivered. It's just not my
kind of car. The gearshift was really sloppy compared to mine, the dash was
all vinyl and modern looking, and there was an air-bag of all things in the
dash.  Except for the big long rusty Selz Family Limo designed to haul crowds
of Little Leaguers, I don't and never have owned a car with shock-mounted
bumpers and airbags.  And won't.

That's just me, and I know everyone hasn't got the time or inclination for
it.  When I buy a lawn mower, the first thing I do is bypass the switch that
cuts off the blade when you go in reverse, the switch that cuts off the
engine if you rise off the seat, the switch that keeps it from starting in
gear, the switch that...etc ad nauseum.  My MG doesn't have an airpump, my
Jeep has had about a mile of wire and hose extracted from its engine
compartment and is doing MUCH better now thank you.  All of these things
remind me of a Nanny central government that will protect me from my own self
from cradle to grave, and I don't accept that (well, until the marshals show
up, anyway).

And the EEC won't last long.  There's already war in the Balkans this spring,
and if history is any guide, the French better start pouring concrete on the
Maginot line.  Our DOT, now, there's another story.  Thank goodness the state
of Virginia doesn't take the lack of DOT things on an older car very
seriously, or I'd be on horseback....a Morgan horse for choice.

                         Lannis
                         Designated Reactionary